- jerseys were knit in the English Channel Islands in the 15th century, knitted by wives of fishermen and sailors
- the first sweaters were heavy dark-blue pullovers worn before and after athletic contests
- jersey was adopted by athletes in the U.S. in the 1890s and called a sweater
- in the 1920s, Jeanne Lanvin and Coco Chanel introduced sweaters into their collections
- If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail. (F. Lebowitz)
- Katharine Hepburn was said to own "20 pairs of beige slacks, white shirts and black sweaters - so that when she gets up in the morning, she knows what she's going to wear."
- a fisherman's sweater from Maine
« Back to the list of categories