Category: clichés and metaphors...
- things better left unsaid, hackneyed phrases, idioms battered senseless, and once-familiar quotations
- in this day and age, at this point in time, not have a leg to stand on, etc.
- how words make friends with one another
- metaphor, a fundamental mechanism of mind, that allows us to use what we know about our experience to provide understanding of countless other subjects
- how metaphor reveals the limitations of the myth of objectivism, how metaphor is pervasive in everyday life - not just in language but in thought and action
- "If we are right in suggesting that our conceptual system is largely metaphorical, then the way we think, what we experience, and what we do every day is very much a matter of metaphor."
- metaphor being from Greek meta- "change; substitution" and pherein "to bear, carry"
« Back to the list of categories