- A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting. (HD Thoreau)
- Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of life. (J.L. Bennett)
- the great adventure of writing a book
- the Sumerians' writing on clay tablets before 3000 BC, the Chinese making books from bamboo strips around 1300 BC, and the Gutenberg type setting c1440 AD
- books bound in leather with gilt gold edges
- the secondhand bookstands along the banks of the Seine in Paris
- reading books about subjects unknown to you
- A home without books is like a house without windows. (HW Beecher)
- sharing your love of books
- a kid with an appetite for books
- donating books to those who will benefit and enjoy them
- books that change the way you think, let you time travel
- crossword puzzle books donated to hospitals
- ISBN numbers (1960s) were 10 digits but is about to run out of numbers, so as of January 2007, each new book will have a 13-digit ISBN number.
- The oldest extant printed book is the Diamond Sutra, a Buddhist text, dated to 868 AD.
« Back to the list of categories