- Consciousness is a being, the nature of which is to be conscious of the nothingness of its being. (Jean-Paul Sartre)
- flannel-lined jeans
- experiencing a mild earth tremor
- the thrill of airline tickets
- a hotdog stand and an ice-cream parlor
- pana cotta with yogurt and cherry sauce
- iced tea by the carafe
14,000 things to be happy about is a bestseller with over 1.25 million copies in print, celebrating all the little things in life. Without plot or rhyme, explanation or footnote, these entries conjure up the rich evocative effect of an epic poem, proving that the little things are what make life worth living. The 25th anniversary edition has 4,000 new entries and many revisions.