- showing polite enthusiasm
- coffee-butterscotch pot de creme
- a raisin sauce for baked ham bubbling on the stove
- the record-scratch sound, still used frequently in ads and comic scenes to indicate someone's train of thought going off the rails
- brick sidewalks
- kitchen science
- how beautiful a new box of 48 Crayola crayons is when you first open the box
14,000 things to be happy about is a bestseller with over 1.25 million copies in print, celebrating all the little things in life. Without plot or rhyme, explanation or footnote, these entries conjure up the rich evocative effect of an epic poem, proving that the little things are what make life worth living. The new edition is here, with 4,000 new entries and many revisions.